Saturday, January 27, 2007

Back To Gnome

Well I'm back on Gnome after a good run with KDE.  Nothing against KDE just that in a default install there's well .... a little too much. For instance you have 3 variations of the same application. An easy, medium and hard versions so to speak. But since I use vim/gvim, I personally have no use of Kate. Now I'm not bad mouthing KDE it is a great desktop.
Just that it's too much for me. A defualt Gnome install for me is very modular (at least on Arch Linux). 
I was very surprised to see how far Gnome has come, and to also see how far it still needs to go.
I won't start rambling about what I think they need to do. Anyways I am happy with Gnome for the time being.
Another reason I chose Gnome is due to Beagle.
Yes I know it has Mono as a dependancy but when you do cross development you really stop caring.
Anyways since Kat got scraped and Strigi is still in development Beagle is the only alternative. I do hope that Strigi becomes a competitor to Beagle, but in the meantime I'm using Beagle.
Having brought up the positives of Gnome, it's time to start being fair.
I still use Basket-Notes since Tomboy lacks the features that Basket has. Although I'm using both of them so I can make a definate answer Basket seems to be winning at the moment.
The transition hasn't been easy though. Having to look for replacements to certain applications has been a tough one.
Instance, replacing amarok, I went thru 3 music players till I remembered Exaile.
Listen
and a few others either crashed or are just plain featureless.
I'm still looking to replace gnome-terminal but haven't had any luck yet.
Well back to the search to make Gnome more usuable for me!!!

No comments: